Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Plaster


Every Christmas my Mom usually buys plaster ornaments for us to paint. This year, we actually did the salt ones instead, but Daddy bought me some plaster figures instead! Instead of doing the same paint routine, I decided to see what would happen if we used markers on them.

The results were pretty interesting. Because the plaster we used wasn't sealed in any way, the markers soaked really easily into the plaster and bled pretty seriously. After some trial and error, I realized that the big background could be done in marker, and then paint used to detail over it (this allowed me to skip the wait between drying paint layers). Also, marker worked really well on top of the paint, so I could have done paint for the major color (green on the tree, brown on the gingerbread house, etc) and then colored over the details, but the darker the color the more difficult it is to color or paint over it (obviously).

Anyway, these little guys came from Cost Plus World Market (silly Daddy left the price tag on! :) but you can get plaster for painting at pretty much any craft store (Michaels, Joann's, etc).

Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment