Pages

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Molasses Cookies


I'm a pretty big fan of handmade gifts, and when my boyfriend said that he was expected to get gifts for all his family members, I thought cookies were the perfect solution. Even more so because I have been working a little on the molasses cookie recipe!

I started with this recipe but then changed it up a bit;

2/3 cup canola oil
1 cup washed raw sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup molasses (the stronger flavor, the better)
2 cups whole wheat unbleached flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp salt

Mix wet ingredients, add dry ingredients. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes.

In the future I plan on trying sorghum for the stronger flavor, but I have yet to find it in any grocery stores. Many of the changes I made were just to make the cookies darker, because I think darker cookies are prettier.

I plated them on cheap Christmas paper plates, wrapped them in cheap celophane, and after adding one of our salt ornaments to the bows, we will have very pretty and VERY tasty Christmas presents for everyone :)

Doing sugar cookies allows the cookies to be family activities with decorations and all, but it also makes them more difficult to package.

Merry Christmas!! I hope you're having as amazing of a time as I am :)

No comments:

Post a Comment