Pages

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Menu, 8-28

Silly me, I forgot to post my menu for this week! I guess the benefit to that is that I get to actually talk about how the meals turned out, instead of just listing them!

Sunday: Leftover night. We almost never do leftover night, because it's just not nearly as fun as making dinner together. But sometimes, special circumstances necessitate eating whatever is in the fridge...and sometimes the reason is that there is too much in the fridge! On Sunday, though, I had a night shift (4pm to midnight). Usually I try to eat before I go to work, but 3:30 is too early for dinner, and midnight is too late. So that day, Nick ate leftovers by himself (sad) and I ate dinner on my lunch break.

Monday: Tuxedo Pasta. I loved this dinner! It was pasta served with mushrooms, red bell pepper, and zucchini mixed in, with a lemon juice and white wine sauce. It was amazing, and the only thing I would have changed is adding fresh tomato after the pasta was finished! We pulled this recipe from out Taste of Home cook book.

Tuesday: Tahitian Chicken from More Than a Cook Book. This was another favorite of the week! The chicken was baked with pineapple chunks and onion soup mix over it, and came out amazing! I thought the sauce was a little strong, so I scraped most of it off before I ate the chicken (the flavors all baked in nicely) but Nick didn't have any problems with it.

Wednesday: Cheesy Potatoes from No More than 5 Ingredients. This was our only "meh" dinner this week. We were supposed to start with frozen hash browns, but decided to grate fresh potatoes instead (I did an "oops" where I bought a 10 pound bag of potatoes forgetting that we still had 5 pounds in the fridge) but I didn't think to press out the extra water, so I thought this turned out a lot more watery than I would have liked. Live and learn, I suppose.

Thursday: Carl's Manicotti from Good Cookin, Good Friends. Oh wow. New favorite! We had this just last night, and it was fantastic. It's a little more involved than some of the other things we make (we started dinner at 7:45 after I got home from work and didn't end up eating until 9:20) but was completely worth the extra time. The filling for the manicotti shells was just cottage cheese, Parmesan, Mozzarella, egg, and parsley, and then the shells (after they're boiled) are baked covered in ground beef, spaghetti sauce, and Italian seasoning. It was so fantastic, and will definintly be something I keep in mind for company! Especially because the whole meal could probably be made ahead of time, set in the fridge, and then baked a half hour before dinner! That's my favorite way to do dinner when people are over :)

Today we were originally going to do our rice dinner again, but because we've made so many amazing things this week, we have tons and tons of leftovers...so instead we will be eating those for dinner tonight :) But that's still a pretty good deal! And no time spent on cooking dinner means extra time for eating Mint Moose Tracks ice cream for dessert and playing Dynasty Warriors: Empires together! Sadly, we have run out of store-bought waffle bowls, so we will be eating out of normal stoneware. Maybe I can make my own waffle bowls some day....

This weekend we're heading to Mom's to celebrate birthdays (Mom's and Alex's and maybe my Step Dad's) and make fondu and delicious cake and go to a street fair and make paper! Weekends at Mom's are always full of creative fun :)


Other than great weekends and more hours at work (due to a raise/promotion) I'm still working on that sweater.


As you can see, I'm past the arm hole section and will be starting the v-neck very very soon. 

And here's something I'm not working on right now, but I wanted to share anyway. Today I'm wearing a skirt that I made-ish. 


These used to be a pair of capris, and they fit horribly, so I cut them off at the crotch and added ruffles of two cloths I picked up at JoAnn's. I only wore the capris for about three months after I bought them, but I've been wearing this skirt for 6 years now! I guess that means it was a good investment.

We should be writing another menu tomorrow, so you'll be seeing another one soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment