Thursday, March 25, 2010

Graduation Invitations

So I decided I wanted to make my own graduation invitations for college, because I feel that the ones offered by my school are way too formal. Here's the process:

The first step was to draw flower shapes on the felt I bought from Micheal's. I used flower fondant cutters to make the shapes, and I made something like 10 large, 30 medium, and 15 small on each sheet of felt, 5 sheets of felt. It took a couple nights to do draw the shapes and then I have to:

Cut out all the flowers. Cutting the flowers out took forever. I think I (with some help from my brother, Mom, and boyfriend) spent about three nights cutting out the flowers. It took some time, but It wasn't particularly difficult, so I watched TV while I did it-- no big deal.

Next, I printed the announcements and the party invitations on precut/creased cards that were paired in the package with envelopes. I cut the invitations from the announcements so I could mix the colors.

Next, I prettified the edges of the party invitations. I wasn't going to do as much to them, so I wanted to make it a little more special all on its own. I used an edging scissors for this.

So now I have the flowers cut, the party invitations edged, and the announcements ready to be decorated.

Next I cut my vellum into the right size and edged it like I did the party invitations.

After cutting all the pieces into the right shapes, I finished off the party invitations. I used flower stamps on the corner to add more color and happiness (my Oma and I are rather fond of clear stamps because you can see where you put them!) and then added a magnet to the back so that the invitations can be stuck up for people to remember. That was the last step for the party invitations!

Then I added a stamped flower (and by "I" I mean "my boyfriend") for a little more color.

I went ahead and put the party invitations in the envelopes to clear up a little workspace...and so I wouldn't lose them!

Then I got to work on the graduation announcements; First, I sewed the vellum on two sides (with two different colors of thread, one for each side) and then I lined the felt flowers on top of the velum along the other two sides and added two more colors of thread to attach them. Voila! Combine and:

Hand address!! I'm so happy with how they turned out, it was worth how long they took to make! And soon...back to my regular crafting schedule :p

No comments:

Post a Comment