Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Spinning!

So for the past two months or so I've been learning to spin! I use a drop spindle instead of a wheel, which is slower, but a better way to learn. I picked my spindle up for eight dollars, but went ahead and splurged on the fiber-- four ounces of brown wool at a reasonable price, and four ounces of bamboo at sixteen dollars (ouch!).

I learned from a friend (my wonderful wonderful previous boss) on some spare wool she had that she doesn't like. Then I moved on to my own wool, and recently...

 

...my first single!

It was kind of hard and it took me awhile, but I love it! Now I'm working on the bamboo. It's easier to get the bamboo to have an even thickness, but I've found that if I'm not careful and get too much twist in it, it snaps off as if someone took a pair of scissors to it. However, it's absolutly beautiful, and it has a great shine to it :) 
love love love :)

My plan is to ply a strand of the bamboo and a strand of the wool together, and then make it into something where gauge doesn't matter (I've been sucking at getting the wool to be even) like a cowl or a scarf. I'm very excited!

When I'm done with this yarn, I do think I'll start another spinning project. I wasn't sure at first, but I love the idea of making my own yarn.

My next dream: learn to weave!!

No comments:

Post a Comment