Pages

Monday, May 17, 2010

Devil's Food Peanut Butter and Jelly Cup Cakes

Long name, I know, but so very very awesome.

So here's how it went. I knew I wanted to make some kind of dessert to celebrate my boyfriend's last day of finals. I decided to make cupcakes because I just think they're cute-- and I figured if I wanted to I could take them to someone else more easily if they were individual servings.

So I preheated the oven, mixed the cake recipe, poured the cupcakes (I made half as many twice as big-- dubbed them ManCakes) and then realized I did not have a can of frosting.

No problem, I'll make my own.

I don't have powdered sugar.

So I thought, what do I have in my cupboard that acts like frosting already? Of course-- peanut butter. So I asked google, can peanut butter be used as frosting?

And google gave me the idea of peanut butter topped with jelly. Now, that's a good idea, but I had seen in Martha Stewart's Halloween magazine last year where she put jelly inside cupcakes so that they looked like they bled when you bit into them, so I decided it would be much tastier to put the jelly inside the cupcakes, and use the peanut butter as frosting. Which resulted in:

 

So after I finished these, I dug a bag of Reese's Pieces out of the pantry, which gave me another good idea; What if you filled the cupcake cup up half way, and then put a layer of peanut butter baking chips, and then filled the cup up the rest of the way with batter? Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Cakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment