Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

Candied Fruit

Talk about a learning experience. I didn't exactly use a recipe for this, it's more like I researched four or five recipes and figured it out from there. What I did read is that some fruits are well suited, and some are poorly suited. For example, citrus does excellently. Berries do fairly poorly. Apples and pears do meh. Mango, and apricot do pretty well.

I chose to do orange, mango, and pineapple.

Pineapple was a terrible, terrible idea.

But here's the "recipe".

Ingredients:
Simple syrup, sugar, fruit.

Boil your fruit in a simple syrup for an hour. Yup, an hour.

Lay on a baking sheet, after coating in (uh, huh) sugar. Bake at 250 degrees for an hour.

Coat in (you guessed it) sugar.

Bag, and give.

If you dare. I'm actually really unhappy with how these turned out. But they're really pretty :D




P.S. I think it's only fair to say that the only reason I'm so unhappy with these is because the smell of sugar still makes me sick after making them. I'm sure they taste fine (Nick assures me they do) but I just can't stand to try them.

And don't tell me sugar doesn't have a smell. It does. Even if I can't exactly remember it at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment